Tuesday 27 October 2009

The Inspiration of Architecture




Growing up as the daughter of an Architect, one of my fondest memories is of my Dad buying me my own hard hat and taking me to watch buildings being demolished and returning to see the construction of the new development. One family holidays, I would go off with my Dad and look at amazing buildings and we would talk "design". I loved these times spent one on one with my Dad and I do think it definitely played a large role in my desire to be apart of the architectural industry. It was the thought of 7 years of studying that put me off! But, with Interior Architecture becoming a better recognised profession, it seemed the perfect balance with Architecture and Design- and with quicker results!

My parents were amazing helping me- both emotionally and financially. They encouraged me to travel, carrying out work placements for various practices in Sydney and New York. I didn't realise how invaluable these experience would be when I graduated. It set me apart from other graduates, showed my dedication to design over many years and gave me vital experience in knowing how a design office operates.

In Sydney, I was working on show apartments and the "fluffy" side of Interior Design as it is technically called in the industry. It was my first insight into Interior Design and from then on, knew it was for me.

New York was amazing. I had the time of my life. The company I was working for predominantly did 5* hotels and I got to help out on lots of projects. But the main thing I got out of my time was New York was a love for hotel, restaurants and bars- design wise of course! I cannot deny I had an active social life over there and with only having 3 months there, I was determined to make the most of. I had a list of places I wanted to go, things I wanted to see- and I made sure I ticket every single one of them off! I drank martinis in the Hotel Gansevoort, ate lunch at The Boathouse, wondered around the Soho art galleries. It was my dream come true!

No comments:

Post a Comment